Understanding your target market is important for your sales and marketing efforts to flourish. The architectural technologist is a critical decision maker for most building product manufacturers. It’s important to define and understand who this individual is, what they like, how they prefer to be connected with, and what their objectives are.
Many of our customers believe the architect to be the most effective specifier, but at Pauley Creative, we believe the architectural technician and architectural technologist have a huge voice in product specification. In this article, we describe a fictitious character with qualities, behaviours, and motivations that are likely to be typical. Many members of the architectural community, we hope, would agree.
What’s the difference between a technician and a technologist in the architectural field?
The difference between a technician and a technologist is often enquired about. 3D design, built environment studies, surveying, and planning are just some of the skills and information you’ll pick up on your path. The difference between designated Technicians and Technologists is blurred; the former will focus on drawings, specifications, and regulatory compliance; all issues that influence performance, such as fire safety, thermal and acoustic deliverables, light levels, and so on. If a building fails to perform, Alex will definitely be the first to be fired.
“Technologists may be more focused on more strategic matters including design, planning, briefing, and risk assessment, but the lines between the two professions aren’t often clear, but they’re often considered as interchangeable in many organizations.”
The variety of work responsibilities, as well as their benefits to the organization, should not be ignored. Lizben Consultant will collaborate closely with the Architects/Partners and may believe that, while they often receive the accolades on important projects, it is the AT who is really accountable for delivering the final product. Lizben will await the day when their efforts will be fully recognised, and he will strive to obtain Technical Associate rank at the company’s highest management or director levels.
What precisely does an architectural technician’s job actually involve?
This checklist assists in understanding and valuing Lizben’s potential scope within a project lifecycle.
- Briefings with other consultants, professionals, and the client at the beginning of the project
- Understanding the needs for building design can help you influence good performance and function outcomes.
- Provide legal, economic, and environmental assistance.
- Plan and manage your application.
- Establish the site and land surveys that are required for successful approval process.
- Create a task brief.
- Using CAD software, design the building and its surrounding.
- Coordinate the flow of building design data and assets, and also subsequent sharing.
- Product analysis
- Providing advice on labour and material acquisition.
- Support the project by communicating with local authorities as needed.
- Material requirements must be provided.
- Carry out a risk assessment.
- Once the task is complete, gather feedback from the occupants of the building and customers.
- Analyse the performance of existing structures.
Outside of project work, architects spend a significant amount of time to the following activities.
- Researching and understanding changes in building regulations as well as new localised guidelines and requirements
- Product research and understanding – primarily via Google, manufacturer websites, and product directories
- Meeting with extremely important suppliers
- Delivering face-to-face or online CPD
- For their next project, they’re looking for inspiration from their peers.
- Attending manufacturing events
What do product producers need to know about designers?
When working with Lizben as a provider or on behalf of a provider, please remember that your product or service is just one part of a much larger and complicated project. You’ll be expected to adjust to changes in the schedule, design, and even economic conditions. This will begin during the negotiation stage, and there will be an intense and stressful last time before the results are known during the tendering and pitching process. Going over and beyond terms of availability, response times, and specific information will win you favour with the AT.
In addition to considering and evaluating key contract elements such as technical performance, supply-chain issues, aesthetics, reliability, and, of course, price, interaction with providers of products and services will also include consideration and evaluation of key contract elements such as technical performance, supply-chain issues, aesthetics, reliability, and, of course, price.
Lizbenwill be capable of managing a project from start to finish. Despite reporting to a senior level – often at partner or director level – he or she will be shouldering a substantial amount of responsibility, even if they do not always have the final say on policy or fully share in the glory when success is achieved.
Lizben will value those who recognise the AT’s contribution in his situation, and building the relationship as the day-to-day contact with meaningful effect over purchasing decisions is a wise move.
- Response time
- Information that is both concise and comprehensive.
- Marketing communications that work
…will go a long way toward cementing your bond